Job Posting / October 2021
Gain Compliance is developing innovative software products to help insurance professionals with the burden of their compliance-related filings. We are a team passionate about building great products that customers love!
We’re looking for a product designer who can take our product experience to the next level. Help us bring consistency, pioneer new ideas, and create something customers love and use with clarity! You’ll be partnering with our product and engineering teams (and customers) to iterate, prototype, research, discuss and ship an improved application. We want someone who has the skills and experience to be a design leader in a cross functional team. You should be comfortable proposing ideas, getting feedback, trying, failing and continually making the product something you and others are proud of.
In this role, you will help lead product vision and collaborate with a team to design simple and elegant solutions to complex business problems. Your primary focus will be researching, creating, and validating user interface designs, interaction models, and prototypes for our software products. You will work with a cross-functional team from early stage discovery to launch. We are looking for a great product designer who is able to pick up complex and foreign domains in order to think like a customer and help lead product efforts. You must be proactive, creative, flexible, resilient, and able to handle high levels of ambiguity. If this sounds like an interesting challenge, please apply!
What You’ll be Doing:
- Develop a deep understanding of our customers, their industry, and their work by leading, planning, and facilitating customer discovery and discussions with subject matter experts
- Develop hypotheses of customer challenges and ranges of possible solutions to test, validate, and communicate to the product team
- Build screenshots, flows, prototypes and experiments to power collaboration, team alignment, and gather feedback
- Test and validate product hypotheses by owning prototype development, customer discovery, and usability testing with the use of sketches, wireframes, mockups, prototypes and other tools that you build.
- Ensure your designs are user-centered and data-informed by considering market analysis, customer and subject matter expert feedback, usability findings, and application metrics
- Design and share-out thoughtful, elegant, and useful software user interfaces, interactions, and experiences through the divergent work of your design process into conceptual diagrams, sketches, wireframes, mockups, click-throughs, prototypes, and microcopy that the engineering team can execute work on
- Debate and defend your deliverables in effective written and oral design rationales, benefits to customers, and cost of delivery
- Provide design specifications to the engineering team for your designs by refining problem statements and user stories
- Plan and execute on the successful delivery of product by working closely and collaboratively with the product / engineering team throughout discovery, design, execution, and delivery
- Build shared understanding of customer challenges and product work by sharing out learnings and product direction with Product Management, Engineering, Customer Success, and other stakeholders
- Develop and maintain a coherent and consistent user experience through the design of a UI architecture with supporting user-interface specifications and design patterns
- Stay current of what is happening in the industry by keeping abreast of competitor products, consumer insights, and industry trends
- Raise everyone’s customer and design focus by being a passionate and effective advocate for design with non-design audiences
What You’ll Bring:
- Proven experience in Product Design or a similar role
- Strong portfolio of projects, demonstrating the application of interaction design, information architecture, visual design, and accessibility fundamentals
- Experience iteratively shipping product with engineers and product teams in a collaborative, Lean UX / Agile software development environment
- A willingness to jump into our niche business. You’ll need to immerse yourself in our product, industry and business goals through a curiosity-fueled exploration
- An unwavering intellectual curiosity and customer focus
- Ability to extract and synthesize complex concepts and quickly turn around rigorous flows and mock-ups reflecting a range of options
- Ability to drive the design review cycle and close on design requirements independently
- Ability to proficiently present design solutions to stakeholders in design, product management, and engineering
- Proficient in design, wire-framing, and prototyping tools
- Experience planning and conducting discovery and user research using a variety of tools and methods
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, and time management skills
- Ability to think critically and ask questions
- Ability to receive constructive feedback
- Positive attitude with the understanding and flexibility to work in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Ability to work on multiple projects with varying timelines
- An ambition to pitch in and help the team succeed. We are a small company that rewards creativity and scrappiness
Bonus Points for:
- A history of learning new industries
- Experience working in SaaS organizations
- A growth mindset with a love for life-long learning
- Knowledge of financial reporting and or accounting concepts
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS/JS
Building a Remote and Inclusive Workplace
Gain Compliance is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Gain Compliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
We offer flexible hours, a generous vacation policy, 100% employer-paid insurance premiums, and a family-friendly schedule for everyone, including parents managing modern schedules.
This job is located on the internet, US-based remote applicants welcome! If you live near Des Moines, Iowa – we’ll even give you a desk and coworker-smells to enjoy. We are eager to talk to you at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please attach a resume and cover letter explaining why you’re the perfect person to help us build our dreams.